Saturday 26 January 2008




Flash £.5
Flash 3.5

s/p 60 F9 Dlash 3.5




s/p 1/4 F9
flash 3.5


Trial shots to try to create a long shot with flash to get a dramatic lighting effect while the background stays in correct exposure. As you can see from the top photograph it has been shot at what 60th of a second and with the same aperture as the bottom one. However, due to the reasonably fast shutter speed the ambiant light (natural light from the lights in the hall) for the sensor to pick up so the foreground object is the only object that it picks up due to the flash. When set at a very slow shutter speed of 4 which would normally create a very blurred shot with just the ambiant light on its own the background and the foreground is in correct exposure as the shutter has enough time to absorb the ambiant light in the background. However, due to the flash it helps to retain a sharp image on the subject

1 Portrait on location
Using low key lighting with portable studio flash .
The photograph will include an NHS night-shift cleaner with mop and bucket in one of the long hallways at St. James' Hospital. The representations of this
character will have to be very carefully thought out so as not to be stereotyped. As above, I have tested out the problems that I may encounter to create perfect exposure on a long scale shot i.e. the corridor. An example of the kind of photograph that originally inspired me is y George Simboni From Portfolio taken with a medium format or a large format camera which I will also use for this shot due to my having access to and RB67 which sinks up to the top speed but will not be used as I will use a 4th of a second shutter speed and will need a tripod also to stop any blurring occurring. The props and models will be easy to obtain as I have friends working at St. James' Hospital who can help me make the necessary arrangements to photograph on the premises.


Portrait/Fashion Shoot Number Two
For this shoot I will be focusing on representations of masculinity such as hunter gathering and carpentry both being very ancient human occupations and the latter in fact being the livelyhood of Jesus Christ. Therefore I could add some meaningful biblical connotations to my work with the use of high key lighting to create a halo effect around figures portrayed such as in the famous "Last Supper" scene painted by Leonardo Da Vinci. I have looked at the work of various artists who have produced very theatrical photographs such as Gregory Crusom and also especially Finlay MacKay whose series of photographs for the Diesel company's advertizing campaign entitled "Today we work hard" won numerous awards. MacKay's house style lighting creates very meaningful photographs that I will try to recreate within the studio.
The photograph will be targeted at men with high disposable incomes of class status A and B
interested in cutting edge fashion
Props and Assistance
I will obtain the tools and wood from my uncle as he has a large collection of old fashioned saws and carpentry tools as well as a bench and timber with the bark still remaining on it. I could do the shoot in the cellar of his house as shown in the photograph below which I took recently.
For this set up I will be using high key lighting and also low key lighting for shadowing effects
I will be using a very fast shutter speed either 250 or higher with the RB going up to 400 so as to capture the actual fragments of wood splintering off as work is in progress for I have already explored this effect successfully with strawberries and cream
For this project I will be working with Tom.
120

No comments: